Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Oh Hey World

Oh heeeyyyy world, there you are!!
So after I got back to the US, I stopped blogging. If anyone actually reads this blog, they may have noticed the 6 or 7 month "hiatus." I found that blogging during school was stressful and often I just forgot that I even had a blog. I had to spend way too much time staying up far too late studying, working at my part-time librarian gig, and when not in a completely sleep deprived zombie state of academic stress, I was asleep on our sofa or eating macaroni and cheese. All of this, I realize, is fairly typical of college students, but I just couldn't find the time to blog.

But, as a new years resolution, I aim to start blogging again. This will be my final semester at Hopkins, which is a terrifying, thrilling, daunting and wonderful concept. I'd like to remember it in detail! Also, I aim to get my etsy shop up and running, and I want to use this blog more to document my crafting and as a sounding board for new projects.
Crafting is therapeutic to me, and while some of my friends may know me as their pseudo-grandma who will darn their socks or mittens and is most often found crocheting on the sofa drinking strong tea, I don't see this as odd for a 22 year old at all. Well, maybe for an average 22 year old, but for me, it seems to fit. I am a septuagenarian at heart, I accept this, and I embrace it. This little personality quirk of mine lets me be the creative crafter I am, and I love that. I also consider it an honor to continue in the steps of my late grandmother and great aunt, her sister Freda, who were amazing crafting, spunky old ladies who crocheted and sewed and needle-pointed to the skies and back. They were both absolutely crazy but also wonderful, I miss them very much and like the fact that my hobbies reflect theirs.

This new, second version of this blog (which I hope I really will be able to sustain and post on regularly) will also reflect a new life decision I made recently, or rather a new life path I've chosen to pursue. As an art history major, I thought for a long time that I was going to pursue a PhD in art history after college, with the end goal of either working in a museum, or more likely, writing art criticism for an arts publication like Art Forum or Art News. I recently realized though, that I'm not that interested in research, don't want to get a PhD (at least not that this stage in my life), am not that interested in a career in museums, don't want to spend five years (or more) of my life in a research program that will lead to academic pursuits/academia when I don't want to work in academia and blablabla, basically no more PhD for me. What I am interested in, is design.

Interior design or textile design or surface pattern design, I love it all! I'm applying for internships now, and trying to introduce myself to the field and get a better orientation into the field and figure out how to pursue a career in design. Aaahhhh it feels so good to say it/type it, out loud! I won't apply to any graduate programs this year, because I need to build up my portfolio first and understand the field more before that. I aim to apply to schools next year, for fall 2012 being the start date.

So there you have it, world. My big update!!! It feels pretty good to be blogging again. I'm excited about all these new ventures, albeit slightly overwhelmed, but only slightly, which is probably normal. Let the wild rumpus begin!!!

1 comment:

  1. BLOG! CRAFTS! WILD RUMPUS! I'M IN!

    miss you! please blog every day so I can stalk you appropriately.

    ReplyDelete